Terms and Conditions

Check-In / Check-Out Policies

This property has the following check-in and check-out times and policies. 

Check-In: 12:00 PM

Check-Out: 11:00 AM

 Check-Out after 11:00 AM will result in an extra day !

Property and Cancellation Policies:

Cancellation Before Arrival

The deposit is non-refundable because by reserving the room for you we may have to turn away other potential guests.

At the manager’s discretion it may be possible to hold your deposit as part payment against another stay (future room rates would apply).

No Show

If you do not turn up and do not advise us of a delay, we will hold your room until check-out time the following morning.

You will not receive a refund of your deposit.

Change of Dates

We will do our best to accommodate date changes. Please try to give us as much notice as possible. We are generally able to accommodate date changes with at least 21 days notice, except at peak times such and Christmas, New Year and Easter. 

Cancellation/early departure

If you decide to check out early, we require notice before check-out time on the day you are leaving, otherwise you will be liable for another day.

We are sorry that your deposit will not be refunded if you decide to leave early. We hold the deposit on the basis that it covers approximately 25% of your room cost for every day that you have booked to stay. Therefore any reimbursement would be from money paid in addition to the non-refundable deposit.

Should you check out early, 25% of every day that you booked is paid for by your deposit (and is non refundable), and only the remaining 75% of every day that you have stayed will be charged.

Check-In & Check-Out Times

Our earliest check-in time is 12pm (midday) and check-out is before 11am. We are sorry but we have to be fairly strict about these rules because most guests do not leave until the last possible moment and also most guests want to check-in as soon as possible. You are welcome to ask if an early check-in or a late check-out is possible when you are with us and our staff team will advise you depending upon our occupancy and our guests timings.

Reservation Dates and Requirements

We will email you confirmation of your deposit payment and your reservation details.

It is your responsibility to check the confirmation for accurate dates, room types and amounts and advise us of any inaccuracies or omissions.

Pets

Although we love animals, we have to say no because there are local beach dogs that are territorial and will attack dogs from outside. This has caused a lot of trouble in the past. We are  sorry but we have to say no to pets.

Deposits & Payments

No booking can be accepted as finalised without the payment of a deposit.

The balance of the room payment is due on arrival at the resort.

The balance can be paid in Indian Rupees (cash), we also accept most foreign currencies (cash), credit cards (for payment when with us, please ask us before any payment for any related charges, which are normally between 2-3% to cover the card handling costs). You can also withdraw cash from a local ATM.

We are happy to accept the remainder owed when you are here in part payments and we will provide receipts.

Accessibility or Special Needs

Although our cottages only have a couple of steps, because of the surrounding sand they can be difficult to access for people with limited mobility. That said, with your permission we are willing and happy to assist under your direction. There are a spectrum of needs, so please feel welcome to discuss with us any assistance or information you may need.

Food & Drink

We serve a complimentary breakfast, but we do not have a restaurant service available in the day or evening. There are plenty of restaurants along the beach to choose from.  

Parking

We do not offer parking facilities, however we will do our best to help you find a space in the village.

Local Festivities

We do not allow loud music and try to maintain a peaceful resort. However, we have no control over noise that maybe generated by religious festival such as Holi and Ganesha. Also on occasion our neighbours or others on the beach may have a celebration which we must tolerate or embrace.

Force Majeure (greater force)

We are exempt from fulfilling our contractual obligations for causes that could not be anticipated and/or are beyond our control. Such as and may include an act of God, act of man, act of parliament, and other impersonal events or occurrences. The before said, we have integrity and will endeavour to provide you with the services mentioned and hopefully exceed your expectations.

Use of Personal information

We will not knowingly give your personal information to anybody else (except where required to do so by authorities). We will retain your information and from time to time we may contact you with our promotional and resort related information.